Cebu ferry tragedy death toll up to 110

User Rating:  / 0
PoorBest 

MANILA -- The number of fatalities in last month's collision between a passenger ship and a cargo vessel in Cebu went up further to 110 as of Monday noon, the Philippine Coast Guard said.

 

In its noon update, the Coast Guard said this left at least 29 more passengers of MV Saint Thomas Aquinas 1 missing.

According to the Coast Guard, 733 had so far been rescued while the remains of 108 fatalities were recovered, and 29 more are missing.

Last Aug. 16, the MV Saint Thomas Aquinas 1 sank after colliding with the MV Sulpicio Express Siete.

The accident resulted in an oil spill that affected Cordova town, and prompted the Cebu provincial government to declare a state of calamity over the entire province.

Fisherfolk in Cordova recently asked for more assistance as they still have difficulty making ends meet.