Sports

Australia bars ‘ex-convict’ Floyd Mayweather Jr.

User Rating:  / 1
PoorBest 

There are some things “Money” can’t buy.

 

An Australian visa for one.

Flamboyant American boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., acknowledged as the world’s highest-paid athlete and who likes to be called “Money,” was recently denied a visa to visit Australia, according to smb.com.au and billionairesaustralia.com.

The immigration bar led to the cancellation of promotional activities lined up for Mayweather in Sydney and Melbourne on Feb. 5 and 6.

Reports said the 37-year-old Mayweather was prevented from entering the country because of his previous criminal offenses for domestic violence, including a prison term for physically abusing his former girlfriend.

The unbeaten Mayweather had also been accused of beating four other women in the past. He has denied the allegations.

Regarded as the world’s No.1 pound-for-pound fighter, Mayweather was denied the visa following an online petition that was signed by 46,000 people across the continent. The petition read: “Allowing a chronic perpetrator of violence like Floyd Mayweather Jr. to visit Australia sends a terrifying message - that vicious, repeat abuse isn’t serious.”

Mayweather’s Australia promoter Max Markson said he would appeal the decision.

Originally set Jan. 29 and 30 in Sydney and Melbourne, Mayweather’s promotional tour was deferred due to the visa problems. Mayweather and 30 others in his entourage flew instead to the Caribbean on his private jet, purportedly to while away time.

 

Pacquiao fight negotiations

Meanwhile, last-ditch negotiations for his projected megabuck bout against Manny Pacquiao are said to be continuing in the United States, where the Filipino superstar has been holed up since last month.

Pacquiao had dinner with Prince Harry of Wales in London in the last week of January, served as a judge in the Miss Universe pageant in Miami and, on Thursday, Feb. 5, was among the invited foreign celebrities in the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, D.C.

Hosted by the US Congress, the affair was graced by President Barack Obama and Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama.

Meanwhile, HBO Sports president Ken Hershman said Wednesday, Feb. 4, the network has done all it could for Mayweather-Pacquiao to push through on May 2.

In an interview with newsday.com, Hershman denied a report that HBO, which owns the right to telecast Pacquiao fights, would prefer to wait until 2016, when Mayweather’s deal with rival network Showtime runs out.

 

“Our position has been consistent throughout this whole process,” said Hershman. “We’re here to stand by and help wherever we can to make this fight happen.” Roy Luarca. Inquirer.net

The Filipino Express

2711 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ 07306 USA.

Phone: 201 434-1114
Fax: 201 434-0880

www.filipinoexpress.com
E-mail: Filexpress@aol.com

Who's Online

We have 169 guests and no members online